About Me

I am a 33 year old mum of two who has spent her entire teenage and adult life struggling with her weight. I am not going to struggle with it anymore. I am in charge!

Friday 8 April 2011

When life throws obstacles at you.

So I know I have a children's party to go to this weekend. It is for a little one in a family of really good friends and I know that the food there is going to present me with challenges. I know what sort of food will be there and I know that it will be lots of home baked, cake-i-ness (!) and deliciously home cooked yumminess.

It happens to fall on the one day a week where I am cutting myself some slack so with a bit of forward planning I am working round it. The meals for the rest of that day and also for the days either side of it have been planned. I am working on the theory that in doing that I can make sure that the lead up to and the following days balance out anything that might be on offer at the party. All good.

Until..... My husband came home tonight and has decided that he is in the mood for beer/chocolate/both. Now for him this doesn't present a problem. 1) he is VERY active (we are talking cycles everyday, swims 2/3 times a week, does various athletic sporting events). 2) he has something I don't. Self control.

But..... When he asked if I wanted him to get me anything. I said no. That doesn't happen with me. I actually had a thought process which has never happened with me. It went something like this...

I know that the party will put food I am eating a lot less often in front of me.
I know that I will be eating some of it.
I have planned out before and after to balance that out.
I didn't want any chocolate earlier and if I decided to have some now it would be just because.
I would regret it afterwards.
I know I wouldn't adapt my plans for the party because I'd let myself off tonight.

So I still have the evening to get through. My husband will be having something that I would have joined in with before. But I feel like I can do that. And I will be able to stick with my plans for the party without feeling any guilt at it.

Maybe I do have some self control that is slowly being un-covered after all.

2 comments:

  1. great job on saying no! that is hard. My husband was the thin one for years...It's hard when it is a struggle for one and not the other..but it looks like you are pulling through. I think I will direct some folks your way tomorrow...we need all the support we can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christine. I successfully negotiated the temptations of the extra snacks around last night and the party. So I am feeling pleased with myself. I am feeling very strong right now. The cough I had for a while has almost completely gone too so I will be digging out my DVD and exercise clothes and add that into my routine.

    ReplyDelete