About Me

I am a 33 year old mum of two who has spent her entire teenage and adult life struggling with her weight. I am not going to struggle with it anymore. I am in charge!

Monday 11 April 2011

Starting to exercise

Despite being Mum to two children who are 8 and 4 and wife to a very active man I really don't move much other than for housework. I don't get that my husband enjoys cycling and running for hours on end. My idea of fun isn't to train for triathlons and duathlons. My youngest child loves to move. Lots. He has the same sort of mind as his Daddy. He enjoys it. To the point that yesterday, having just learnt to ride a bike, he was heard saying "My legs are tired but I don't want to stop cycling". He doesn't walk when he could run. My oldest is much more sedate. At the moment she is a very healthy size but so was I at her age. She would sit and read all day if she could. Much like me when I was her age. I don't want her to follow the same path I did and get to 33 thinking "Why have I let this happen?".

Back in January I bought a copy of the 30 day shred DVD. I did it for about 2 weeks and then got ill. Then my children were ill, then they were away, then they came back and got ill, then I was ill and blah, blah, blah..... Yes I have lots of excuses about why I didn't pick it back up again. But it has been there in the back of my mind.

Last week it started not so much being in the back of my mind as tapping me on the shoulder and then jumping up and down in front of me waving it's arms saying "Look at me, look at me". A bit like a small child who has just noticed that you are deep in conversation with someone other than them. All the blogs I have read by people who are having the most success and making the biggest changes to their bodies mention exercise. I know it's not just about eating right. If I want to truly achieve the goals of being a healthy Mummy for my children and myself then I need to do more. Then I kept seeing mention of the DVD all over the place. And to top ot off three days ago one of my friends mentioned on her facebook page that she had just done a fantastic new DVD workout which was, yep you guessed it.

So that afternoon I got my copy out, I was going to wait till Monday but I thought, nope, just another excuse. DO IT NOW! So I did. I had forgotten the Bambi effect on the legs afterwards. But I did it. Then I did it again yesterday. I can't say I enjoyed it. I would be lying. I don't enjoy it. I have deep aches in my shoulders going round below my arms right now and the tops of my legs are aching plenty too. My abdomen appears to have some muscles in it somewhere which are letting me know they haven't packed their bags and left while I have been neglecting them. I am reliably informed this is good! Oh and I have just discovered that the front of my thighs ache. I am going to ignore the fact that one half of my head is asking why I am doing this to myself and listen to the other half that knows why.

No comments:

Post a Comment