About Me

I am a 33 year old mum of two who has spent her entire teenage and adult life struggling with her weight. I am not going to struggle with it anymore. I am in charge!

Thursday, 8 September 2011

So my legs need time to recover

I liked finding that I could run 5k non stop in August. I liked it so much I have done it several times since. Not every day but because I have done other things on most of those in between days I haven't really given my legs a chance to recover. Last night they decided that if I was going to ignore them then they were going to shout louder.

I took part in a local 5k race. It's a regular thing and husband talked me into it. It is very hilly and as a result I found I couldn't run the whole thing. I tried, oh boy did I try, to keep making them start running again but just over 4k in I had to walk for a bit. I kept starting running again but it didn't last and that last 1k was walk/run the whole time. I did make myself run up the last hill though.

This morning my legs ache. I knew they would. My last three runs have been tough going. I have had to force my legs to carry on. Husband (he who never rests) has told me he would suggest I take a week off running. I can do other things; gently cycling, swimming and core/upper body workouts but rest the legs is the general message.

My first thought was genuinely "No running for a week! That's a long, scary time". But I know from the way my legs feel that if I don't do this I will regret it. Then I actually chuckled at the thought of me being bothered about not being able to run for a week.

Watch this space because I expect my next run in a week to be damn good. Then I am going to start building my way up to 10k ready for May.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I love how your attitude toward running has changed so much. I too found running to be a surprising thing that I liked that I swore I never would. So cool to learn that we can do things we never thought possible and truly like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes all of us need to have breaks between our trainings. I have read on http://bit.ly/Qh9G8S about the special dietary supplement which claimed to keep your body toned even if you are not training for a while. I’ve tried it and was pleasantly surprised when my muscles almost did not sore after the first post-break training. Moreover, I was able to train as much as I used to before the break, and quickly increase the intensity of following trainings.

    ReplyDelete